While running through a department store from one ride to the next (elevator to escalator) my son noticed a very nice pair of women's shoes that were on sale for $70. My husband coughed that "are you kidding me?" cough, and I just threw up my hands and said "Don't look at me, my ankles hurt just looking at them." Which led me to the realization that I am very "unfeminine" in many ways.
Some stereotypical American woman things I have not experienced:
- read the Fifty Shades series
- spent over $35 on a pair of shoes
- had a manicure or a pedicure
- spent over $20 on a hair cut
- watched anything related to or associated with the Kardashians
- purchased make up from a cosmetics counter at a department store
Other non-woman things about me:
- ESPN and NFL Network are usually the first channels I check when looking for something to watch.
- I like playing video games, and the first time I played Wii Boxing I knocked my husband's Mii out (thank you, Coach Ingram!)
- I can be out the door in 15 minutes (used to be 5 minutes, before I became a Mommy, now I have to pack his stuff and get him ready too).
- I have packed for a last minute weekend get away in under an hour, including my son's stuff food and activities for the car ride all loaded in the car and on our way.
- I own a hair dryer that I use once a month, if that. Otherwise I do not own a curling iron/ hair straightener or whatever other hair perfection devices are out there these days.
- Shopping is not therapeutic for me. Get in, get what you need, get out.
- I don't enjoy chatting on the phone for the most part. Now if it is a friend I haven't spoke to in ages, that's different.
- My purse and shoes combo? White sneakers and a simple black shoulder bag that has as much J's stuff as mine.
- Most days I only accessorize with my engagement and wedding rings.
- Chick Flick or Action Movie? - action movie every time.
- Dark chocolate is just "okay" in my book.
- The tool set is MINE and it is not pink.
- My favorite shoe designer? Reebok.
- My favorite clothing designer? uh, I couldn't even name one.
Ok, some of those may be more signs of my innate frugalness, but if I am going to splurge my first choice usually isn't "girly" things.
If any of the above excite you, good for you. I am not into motorcycles, but I have friends that are - more power to you. I not only have enough self esteem that it doesn't bother me that I don't enjoy many of those stereotypical activities, I have no problem with women (or men) that do.
Maybe that could become the new archetypal American woman: does what she wants and accepts other women for doing the same. Live and let live.
[Tweet "The new archetypal American woman: does what she wants and accepts other women for doing the same. #feminism"]