The day after I started thinking about what I could have J make his Daddy for his birthday/St. Valentine’s Day, I saw this post on Doodles and Jots for making your own heart shaped box out of a cereal box.
How cute is that?!
I ended up doing ours slightly differently because I wanted J’s help and I really didn’t want to deal with paint.
- I cut up the cereal box into 2 big rectangles and strips then let him glue on the construction paper.
- Then I made a heart shaped template and “we” traced two big hearts on the two big pieces of the box and let him cut them out (I “fixed” it when he wasn’t looking).
- Then I cut my template down about 1/4 inch and traced it on the bottom, lined up the strips for the sides along the line and using a glue gun put a bead of glue on both sides.
- I cut the template down another 1/4 inch or so, flipped over the top and glued smaller strips along the traced line to make a lid that would fit inside the bottom.
- I let J go to town with markers and stickers to finish decorating
- fill with ? I haven’t decided yet. We’ll make some kind of cookies of brownies closer to his birthday
[Tweet “Make a heart shaped box from a cereal box. #kidscrafts #valentinesday”]
If I happen to ask where I stashed it in a few weeks, just remind me it is in the room Daddy rarely enters.
And in case you didn’t know, I handled the glue gun when he wasn’t around because:
That stuff is dangerous! Luckily it was my left index finger instead of my right clicking finger.